For individuals and spouses who do not have the option of a group health insurance plan or do not wish to take the group plan, you will only be able to apply for a health insurance plan during the Initial Open Enrollment Period.
During the initial open enrollment period the effective date of coverage depends on the date that Covered California receives the applicant’s enrollment selection. The effective date guidelines for the initial open enrollment period are as follows:
- Enrollments received by December 15, 2013 – coverage begins January 1, 2014
- Enrollments received December 16 – January 15, 2014 – coverage begins February 1, 2014
- Enrollments received January 16 to February 15, 2014 – coverage begins March 1, 2014
- Enrollments received February 16 to March 15, 2014 – coverage begins April 1, 2014
- Enrollments received March 16 to March 31, 2014 – coverage begins May 1, 2014
- Open enrollment begins – October 2013
- Open enrollment ends – March 2014
How to apply for Individual & Family Health Insurance for 2013
You have choices when applying for your health insurance plan. Good news is, whether you apply using an Agent/Broker or directly to the Insurance Company or the Exchange, the premium will be the same. So why not use the expertise of a trusted Insurance Broker in Southern California. To sell in the Covered California Exchange, an agent/broker must be certified which means they have the training and knowledge to assist their clients in making the right choice for a health plan. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (909) 392-5535 for more information.
Will someone be Able to Apply for Health Insurance out of the Exchange (Covered California) anytime during the year?
The answer is NO. All individual and family enrollment in or out of the exchanges will be under the same enrollment requirements as the Covered California plans. This means, you can only apply for health insurance during open enrollment. There are some exceptions, such as loss of a job, birth, moving from out of state, etc. For more information contact us at email@example.com or (909)392-5535